USA East to West / part 3


MINNESOTA - SOUTH DAKOTA
We had yet to drive a big part of Minnesota so we left the hotel early morning. We were heading South Dakota Rushmore is were we could see the heads of presidents carved into the rock. Thats our one day route:
Highway in Minnesota was still covered with snow so we couldn't drive fast. But closer to South Dakota snow was disappearing. Cool thing was that we started day in winter which turned into spring in South Dakota. Roads were dry, flat and wide. We could make up for lost time yesterday. Not much happened on the way. Just flat landscape. For me polish girl even that was a cool view. 
Now I can say that driving through Dakota was the easiest and the most convenient part of our trip. I could actually lay in the car seat with a jumper under my head. Listening music and audiobooks without worrying what is happening in front and around me. Not too many cars, safe road, landscape didn't change much. I could keep my eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel. Those few hours were very relaxing for me. It was very sunny and beautiful. We really enjoyed this weather.
I was so relaxed and dreamy that I didn't notice that I ran out of gas. I called Ania and let her know that we need to stop in first gas station we'll see. Because we were in the desert we couldn't see any gas station on the way. My car begged me for gas louder and louder! I told him Im looking for gas station but he didn't care about what I say. He's like a spoiled child. If he want to eat he cry until you won't feed him. We were driving another miles in such a whole. Big, dry and flat whole! Nothing around! We drove further and further. And further and further until we started worrying… How long could we drive without gas. Section of the road to the first gas station lasted forever. We took the first exit and immediately we felt better. That was typical american station which I've seen on movies before. Quiet, no people outside with motel next to it. I loved that! Such a nice gas station and sunny day. I'm telling you! American movie.



Everything was right except for one thing. Gas station was out of gas! What a crap! We are in deep shit! I've already done hundred thousand of miles since my car started asking for gas. I couldn't drive further anymore! This is not possible! We didn't even see any other gas station around. 
I don't know why but instead of crying we started to laugh at the place. Big sign OPEN and no gas. The only open station within a million miles out of gas! We took some pictures of it and then we started to worry again. Then the old man left the store at the station and told as That next working gas station is further in the city. Lucky we! 


 We couldn't call this place "city" but we filled up ours horses and moved on!




The closer Rushmore the higher and colder. We arrived a Rusmore after sunset. This small empty city was very high in mountains so we had snow again this day. 



Because of fog in the mountains we couldn't see well presidents sculpture. We decided to stay overnight and see them next day in the morning. City looked scary, not even one living being there. All hotels and restaurant were closed. We find two small motels open but only one allowed pets. We checked in and went to eat to the nearest the only one open bar here.  Of course food was terrible as in all States on the road. Everything fried or not fresh at all. Awful food is the worst part of this trip. The only safe thing to eat are fries with ketchup. Believe me! Anything else we ate on the road was pretty bad. Once I had a pancake with maple syrup. I was sure nobody can fuck that meal up. But unfortunately someone could. And maple syrup wasn't even maple syrup but some sugar brownie liquid. Yghhhgyhh. I had stomach pain almost all day that time and I didn't even eat half of this pancake. 

Anyway… We eat some tortilla and dry sandwich and went to sleep.
Have a look at this short movie from Minnesota and South Dakota roads :)

Next part of trip read here.

0 komentarze:

Prześlij komentarz

 
Facebook

Polecam

EWA SO - Fotograf Poznań